So…is it possible to grow your followers in one day? Depends on how you define growth really. 1 new follower can be seen as growth or maybe it’s 50. Let me clear that up real quick. This is a story about how I more than doubled my twitter followers in literally (what felt like) one day.
Here’s a little backstory about me and my distant relationship with Twitter. I created my account back in ‘08 and never used it. I didn’t understand it. How we currently use the “@” and “#” was all new to me back then. It felt like learning a foreign language and I just didn’t have the time. Lucky for me I scored my name as my handle @kellykranz. Of Course I had no idea if that was good or not.
As of 2010 I started working in the field of internet marketing. The field is vast and educational materials are everywhere. I must have consumed at least 500 ebooks my first year. And while I learned a lot about Twitter I only used it for business accounts and not my personal account.
Fast forward to 2014. My Twitter account still has the same 50 followers I had when I started. Not only is this embarrassing to me but … no it is just EXTREMELY embarrassing. How can I sit here and write about best inbound marketing and social media practices when my own Twitter account has zero reflection of what I preach. I decided to fix this and fix it fast.
Time. Time is something I am very short on and to find the time to pop over to Twitter to tweet was not something I was used to. So I started out with what I could fit into my schedule, and that is bulk scheduling with tools like Hootsuite or HubSpot’s social inbox. First I sat myself down and had a little self chat. I decided that realistically I could dedicate myself to twitter for 2 weeks, after the 2 weeks I would see if what I did worked and adjust what I was doing if need be.
Like I mentioned, I started to schedule my tweets in bulk. I scheduled about 10 tweets each day. I did my scheduling the day of, this was to keep my tweets relevant with news and articles that published recently. I didn’t want to schedule my tweets 2 weeks in advance and be sharing stale content 5 days in- thats no good for anyone.
My scheduled tweets were dedicated to sharing content. 70% of the tweets shared articles I found relevant and the other 30% shared articles published on our agency blog. Self promotion is tasteless if overdone but I think I found a nice balance.
Aside from the 10 scheduled tweets a day. I was active on Twitter during my lunch hour and after dinner. I made an effort to follow about 10 people each day, retweet others and tweet organically about what I was doing- you know the typical “what I had for dinner” tweet. I tried to do this everyday for 2 weeks.
What did I see from my efforts? I saw success, I grew followers. My Twitter was living and breathing! It would help you to know that I started out with 50 followers and I was following about 40 people. At the end of my little Twitter program I had 200+ followers and I was following about 130 people. And while this goal may seem low for some, it was more than I was hoping to achieve with the moderate effort I was able to put forth.
My Bottom Line
Twitter is able to be tamed. Its a great platform for engagement and industry knowledge sharing. All you have to do is jump head first.